| 1:56 min read |
Matthew 1:23 “Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and he will be called Immanuel (meaning, God is with us).”
When a child feels disturbed or distressed, their first reaction is to look or cry for mom or dad. A parent’s presence has a comforting effect on a discomforted little one.
In the promise of Jesus Christ’s birth, we find the same kind of comfort for our lives. One of the names God assigned to His Son and announced to us at His coming is Immanuel, which means “God is with us.”
This name teaches us many truths about God’s nature and commitment to us. It helps us to see that God does not distance Himself from people. In the birth of Jesus Christ, God stepped into our world to provide us with all the benefits of His presence and power. He came to “be with us.”
What are the benefits of God’s presence? Let’s take a look at a few:
- Because He is with us, we have nothing to fear.
- Because He is with us, we are never alone.
- Because He is with us, we have a guide to lead us.
- Because He is with us, no situation is impossible or hopeless.
- Because He is with us, His help is always available.
- Because He is with us, we can rest securely in His care.
- Because He is with us, no enemy can defeat us.
- Because He is with us, He is our ever-vigilant protector.
- Because He is with us, we can resist temptation.
- Because He is with us, we always have Someone who will listen to us.
This Christmas, consider all the blessings that are available to you because Jesus is your Immanuel. If you have never asked Him into your life, do it now. The Lord wants to be your eternal companion.
Lord, how reassuring it is to know that you are with us always. Forgive us when we forget about your presence. Help us turn to you and trust in you. During this Christmas season, we celebrate the promise that you will never leave or forsake us. Help us to always recognize and worship you as our Immanuel. In Jesus’ name, Amen.